Q- What is body odour?
- Body odour also spelled body odor. Generally our mind and body is the main reason for Body odor. The effect of various feelings like more happiness, more sorrows, high tension, more sexual feelings forms the main reason for mind related body odor. During this time, all the glands act fast and generates more liquid inside our body along with Bacteria and it mixes with sweat form body odor.
- Moreover the type of food we in take more also lead to the body odor. Onion, Garlic, certain type of Fishes, Lavender some masala items are main reasons for body odor. Fatty people have high amount of Bacteria’s in action and hence more odors occur. Diabetes patients are also the victims of this body odor.
Physiology : BODY ODOR
Two types of glands produce sweat, the “eccrine” glands and the “apocrine” glands.
glands are dispersed throughout the body but are concentrated in the armpits,
palms of the hands, soles of the feet, and the forehead. When the body is
overheated – from hot weather, physical exertion, or fever the “eccrine” glands
help regulate body temperature by expelling a solution of water and salts that
cools the skin.
The “apocrine” glands are concentrated in the armpits and around the groin. These glands develop during puberty and have nothing to do with temperature regulation; instead, they respond to such conditions as sexual arousal, nervousness, and anger, as well as to heat and exertion. The sweat they produce is rich in organic substances that attract bacteria and produce a strong odor. Other reasons could be the purely the ‘faulty lifestyle’ or ‘emotional stresses’ like in ovulation or menopause when the hormones trigger the “apocrine’ glands to produce the characteristic smell.
Actually sweat is body’s most convenient way of maintaining “homeostasis” or keeping cool. But when the temperature spurts above the normal there are about 2.5 million sweat glands, which act as tiny air-conditioners in maintaining the homeostatic balance. Surprisingly our sweat bacteria act on the sweat after reaching the skin surface. Normally most people tend to combat bad body odor with products like deodorants or body sprays as a solution. But it can only dimin9sh the effects temporarily. In fact bad body odor (B.O) indicates that you are disturbed emotionally or physically.
Different Kinds Of Problem For Body Odor :-
Broadly, there are three completely different kinds of problem that are responsible for bad body odor :
- HYGIENE PROBLEM :
HYGIENE PROBLEM is not cleaning up properly, not having proper bath or using clean clothes. Ask the pharmacist for advice on soaps and cleansers and deodorants. But be warned; an excess of chemicals can make things worse, not better. Take advice and follow it.
- SKIN PROBLEMS:
If you have a bit of eczema or psoriasis or allergy problems, it is possible that a skin infection, probably fungal, is contributing to the problem. You need to know, and if that’s the case, it is treatable through not always easily.
There are some uncommon genetic conditions that are associated with odor. They are uncommon and there are methods of dealing with the problem. Again, consult your doctor.
Cause of Body Odor:
Following are the factors that are the main cause of body odor:
- Warm temperature not simulate the sweat glands but also cause bacterium to break sweet down into a sticky coating that becomes a magnet for dirt thereby causing bad body odor.
- Synthetic fabrics like polyester look good but trap sweat.This trapped sweat makes a perfect breeding ground for bacteria.
- Bad eating pattern
- Tight fitting clothes / shoes also increase the likelihood of excess perspiration and body odor.
HOME REMEDIES : BODY ODOR
- After your bath, add a tablespoon of honey to tepid water for final rinse. This will help keep body odor in check.
- Adding a teaspoon of alum to your bath water make you smell fresh all the day.
- In summer, add a cup full of vinegar to your bath water or add a cupful of camphor oil to your bath water.
- Baking soda used as a powder will absorb chemicals; therefore this will remove body odors. Use a powder puff, which has been used for talc, to apply the powder.
- Boil mint leaves and add the water to your bath water. Keep some aside for a special dousing for your armpits and between the thighs.
FOODS THAT HELP DEAL WITH BAD BODY ODOR
- A balance diet is a must. Ideally it should be the one which has about 20% protein i.e fish, poultry or combinations of pulses and grains, 20% oils and fats and balance from vegetables, fruit, pulses and grains.
- Include turnip or its juice in your diet.
- Red radish juice can be included in the diet. You can also apply it on your feet and in between the toes.
- Radish juice helps keep body odor at bay.
- Drinking plenty of water will also ensure that you smell fresh and sweet.
- Eating a tablespoon of aniseed is other way of smelling fresh and sweet.
FOODS TO BE AVOIDED FOR BAD BODY ODOR
People with body odor should avoid food that are rich in lecithin or choline or cantina/lysine such as soya products, corn, wheat and also chocolates, peanuts, nuts, raisins, cereals, eggs etc. or limit the intake of these foods to a small part of daily diet.